Ministry of Community and Rural Development Legislation
Capital Region Water Supply and
Sooke Hills Protection Act
- The Act provides for the repeal of the Greater Victoria Water
District Act and its replacement with an act that provides for the
operation of water supply and water distribution services by the Capital
Regional District. The Act also provides for the establishment of a regional
water supply commission and establishes the Sooke Hills Wilderness Regional
Park as a part of the regional parks system
- The Act provides all municipalities with a framework for their “core”
areas of authority, including broad powers; taxation; financial management;
procedures; and bylaw enforcement. The Act covers municipal-provincial relations,
with principles, consultation requirements and dispute resolution processes. It also
provides for fundamental municipal powers such as corporate powers, service powers and
regulatory powers; specific powers in relation to additional areas; and specific
restrictions on those powers. To balance the broad powers provided, the Act contains
accountability and public participation provisions, such as electors approval
processes, annual municipal reporting and ethical conduct rules for elected
officials. Certain provisions of the Act also apply to regional districts, the
City of Vancouver and other local bodies, such as the Islands Trust.
Cultus Lake Park Act [The] (SBC 1932, c.63)
- A private Act that provides for the creation, structure, powers and
responsibilities of the Cultus Lake Park Board for the regulation, management,
maintenance and improvement of Cultus Lake Park.
Greater Vancouver Sewerage and Drainage District Act
- The Act provides for the creation, structure and operation of a greater board with
responsibility for providing sewerage, drainage and solid waste services in the Lower
Greater Vancouver Water District Act (SBC 1924, c.22)
- The Act provides for the continuation, structure and operation of a greater board
with responsibility for providing water services in the Lower Mainland.
Islands Trust Act
- The Act provides for the continuation, structure and operation of the Islands
Trust for the Gulf Islands. It sets out the objective of the Trust and the main powers
and responsibilities of the Trust bodies (Trust Council, Local Trust Committees,
Executive Committee and the Trust Fund Board).
Land Title Act [s. 219, except subsections (3) (c), (11) (b)
and (10), insofar as it relates to the portfolio of the minister]
- This section gives property owners the authority to make agreements in favour of
other bodies, including local governments, to put restrictions on the use and
development of the owners’ property. The Act also describes the types of terms
that can be included in these agreements and details about enforceability. The
remainder of the Act is the responsibility of the Ministry of Agriculture and
Local Government Act [except ss. 916-919 and 692-693]
- The Act is the primary legislation for regional districts and improvement
districts, setting out the framework for governance and structure, as well as the
main powers and responsibilities. Certain municipal provisions remain in effect for
matters not covered by the Community Charter. As well, the Act covers important
authorities for both municipalities and regional districts, such as statutory
requirements for elections, and planning and land use powers. The Act also
includes key provincial powers such as authority for the BC Building Code and
the office of the Inspector of Municipalities. Sections 916 to 919 (relating to
farms) are the responsibility of the Ministry of Agriculture and Lands.
Sections 692-693 (relating to the BC Building Code) are the responsibility of
the Minister of Forests and Range.
Local Government Grants Act
- The Act establishes the statutory funding framework for provincial government
support to local governments by providing authority to make conditional and
unconditional grants to local governments and related organizations.
Local Government (Green Communities) Statues Amendment Act,
(Bill 27) 2008
The legislative amendments made in the Act encourage local governments to think, plan and
build green. Specifically, it supports the development of compact communities with affordable
housing and lower greenhouse gas emissions by providing local governments with the flexibility
to reduce emissions, to conserve energy and to make communities more socially and environmentally
sustainable in ways that make the most sense for their communities.
Local Services Act
- The Act provides the basis for land use regulation by the province in Dease
Lake (outside of a regional district) and for the default subdivision rules for
areas with no local subdivision servicing bylaws.
Manufactured Home Tax Act
- The Act provides that subject to specified exceptions, manufactured homes are
“improvements” to be assessed and taxed in the name of the owner of land
on which the home is located.
Ministry of Municipal Affairs Act
- Although this specific named Ministry no longer exists, the Act establishes a
ministry responsible to be a medium of communication between municipalities and the
Lieutenant Governor in Council and to perform other duties and functions it is given
by the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
Municipal Aid Act
- The Act authorizes the provincial government to pay local governments annual
grants in lieu of property taxes on defined provincial land.
Municipal Finance Authority Act
- The Act provides for the creation, structure and operation of the Municipal
Finance Authority of British Columbia, and sets out its powers and responsibilities
in providing financing for regional districts, their member municipalities and other
defined public institutions.
Municipalities Enabling and Validating Act(s)
- The Act, act No. 2 and No. 3 are a compilation of special amendments providing
specified local governments with additional authority or validating their procedural
errors, in effect from 1958 onwards.
Nanaimo and South West Water Supply Act
- The Act establishes the City of Nanaimo as responsible for providing the water
service that the Greater Nanaimo Water District supplied before its dissolution. The
Act transfers the assets and liabilities to the City of Nanaimo, and provides for
representation of the community of South West Extension on the body responsible for
advising the city on the water service.
New Westminster Redevelopment Act, 1989 (SBC 1989, c.34)
- This private act grants the city of New Westminster development authority in
addition to and different from that of other municipalities to facilitate redevelopment
of a specified part of the city.
Ports Property Tax Act [s. 5 only]
- The Act supports British Columbia’s port facilities by setting a cap for
municipal tax rates in relation to designated port properties and enables a tax
rate cap to be set by regulation for new investment in improvements. The ministry
is responsible for section 5, which authorizes payments to compensate municipalities
affected by the tax rate restriction. The Ministry of Finance is responsible for the
majority of the Act.
Resort Associations Act
- The Act assists in the development, maintenance and operation of resorts
promotion in B.C. by providing for the designation of Resort Areas. The Act enables
the incorporation of Resort Associations for the promotion of Resort Areas and creates
special local governance options for such areas.
Resort Municipality of Whistler Act
- The Act provides for the creation of the Resort Municipality of Whistler and sets out
the powers and responsibilities of the municipality, in addition to what is provided
in the Local Government Act and the Community Charter. The Act also
provides for the creation, structure and operation of the Whistler Resort
Sechelt Indian Government District Enabling Act [s. 4 only]
- The Act is companion legislation to the Federal Sechelt Indian Band
Self-Government Act and provides for provincial recognition of the Sechelt Indian
Government District. The ministry is responsible for section 4, which makes the
district eligible for municipal benefits. The rest of the Act is the responsibility of
the Ministry of Aboriginal Relations and Reconciliation.
University Endowment Land Act [except for ss. 2(1)(a) &
(d) & 3(b)]
- The Act provides for the provincial government’s authority and responsibility
for local government matters on the University Endowment Lands which are adjacent to
the University of B.C. The remainder of the Act is the responsibility of the Ministry
of Agriculture and Lands.
- The Vancouver Charter provides for the continuation, structure and operation of the City of Vancouver
and sets out its main powers and responsibilities, including elections, public works,
real property taxation, and land use planning.
Seniors and Women
- No legislation.