The Community Development section is responsible for a broad range of client focused programs directed at
the social and economic development of British Columbia communities. The section has a strong community
problem-solving orientation focussed on the needs of particular communities. The main areas of focus are
- Administration of ministry participation in the provincial Free
Crown Grant Program which provides local governments with access to provincial Crown land for public
- Overseeing administration of the British Columbia Resort
Municipality Initiative which provides resort oriented municipalities with new finance, development and
business promotion tools to enhance the resort sector in British Columbia.
- Managing the municipal financial implications of communities undergoing transition as a result of change
in the resource economy.
- Providing advice on community economic development tools, including:
- Managing the ministry’s participation in the provincial Environmental Assessment process under
the Environmental Assessment Act to ensure that ministry and local government interests are
acknowledged and incorporated in decision making.
- Managing and planning for the unincorporated region of Stikine in the far north-west corner of the
province given the absence of incorporated local governments.
- Providing support for the resolution of service issues in rural British Columbia
including water supply, fire protection and emergency services.
Ministry of Community Services
800 Johnson Street
PO Box 9839 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, B.C. V8W 9N7